Deadline: 30 September 2020
The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Africa. It will provide scholarships, mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
In 2021, 75 scholarships are available for:
● 17 Undergraduates for pursuing bachelors degree programs
● 10 Honours
● 48 Masters
These are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate (honours and master’s) study in Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties.
In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement to UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship. Request information on how to apply for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship from The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: Recruitment and Peer Mentor Officer at email@example.com (telephone number 0027 21 650 5095/ 5923 / 3601). Applicants are advised to work closely with The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: Recruitment and Peer Mentor Officer while preparing and submitting an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.
The scholarships will cover for the following:
● Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
● An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
● Full tuition fees and international student fees
● Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
● Meals through the student housing system at UCT
● Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
● A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
● A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
● Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
● Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
● An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town